How we will see unregistered users[edit source]
You get this message because you are an admin on a Wikimedia wiki.
When someone edits a Wikimedia wiki without being logged in today, we show their IP address. As you may already know, we will not be able to do this in the future. This is a decision by the Wikimedia Foundation Legal department, because norms and regulations for privacy online have changed.
Instead of the IP we will show a masked identity. You as an admin will still be able to access the IP. There will also be a new user right for those who need to see the full IPs of unregistered users to fight vandalism, harassment and spam without being admins. Patrollers will also see part of the IP even without this user right. We are also working on better tools to help.
We have two suggested ways this identity could work. We would appreciate your feedback on which way you think would work best for you and your wiki, now and in the future. You can let us know on the talk page. You can write in your language. The suggestions were posted in October and we will decide after 17 January.
Thank you. /Johan (WMF)
18:15, 4 Jerrey Geuree 2022 (UTC)
Go, Dog. Go![edit source]
This page was deleted twice, but was it really a machine translation? If not, can you restore it? If you'll remember, there's that Disney vandal "Bambifan101", the one who talks about "Spider's Web: A Pig's Tale". He had vandalized Bambi and Teletubbies so much that they got protected. But what I noticed is that those two pages (Bambi and Teletubbies), plus a few others, have more content than the majority of pages like them. Therefore, could the others be expanded? I know it's hard with just one admin around, and no other active users who speak Manx, but could you see what you could do with the remaining Disney articles? At the very least make sure that there is no vandalism or anything. Thank you. 2600:1700:53F0:AD70:7817:2DF7:EF56:A2CE 20:48, 24 Toshiaght Arree 2022 (UTC)
- If I had to guess, this IP is probably BF101 themselves. Eviolite (talk) 21:03, 24 Toshiaght Arree 2022 (UTC)
Flower of the month[edit source]
For your huge efforts on Gaelg Wikipedia I want to award you with the Flower of the month.
New template to automatically generate population on location articles[edit source]
I've left a message in the community area regarding a new revision of my population generator. I think you will find it useful. If you need any further help, in any way, please contact me on my Welsh page and I'll try my best. Maybe I could create an automatic infobox - with your help!
Sorry and thank you[edit source]
Sorry about the errors and thank you for the warning. I saw the article on The Office looked like it was copied from another animated series such as The Simpsons or SpongeBob SquarePants (both of which probably need revising). Yes I was the same person to ask about Liv and Maddie 8 years ago (in 2014). I removed the animated from The Office and an overlink to American on several articles, including the ones mentioned. Liv and Maddie, SpongeBob SquarePants, and Sydney to the Max are my favorite comedy TV shows of all time. But of them, only SpongeBob is animated. I like a lot of cartoons and animated movies, but I also like some live-action TV shows and movies. I wanted to say for example that Dove Cameron plays both lead roles in Liv and Maddie. I think her article deserves more information. Besides Liv and Maddie, Dove Cameron has also starred in Descendants, one of my favorite films along with both its sequels. I wanted to write it, but I won't because I'll obviously get something wrong or not have enough information. That said, could you look at some of these articles and fix the errors? I didn't know what to fix or else I'd fix them myself, but I also think there are several articles that deserve more information. But I won't add anything right now because I don't want to make more mistakes, and there are so many articles already. My favorite movies and TV shows are usually related to Disney and Disney Channel. One other thing is that, on some pages, there are redlinked categories where I tried to add categories (like "Walt Disney Pictures films") but I didn't know if I got them right, and I didn't know what to create in the category pages. So, if they need revising, can you revise them, and create the categories that should exist? I know this is so much to ask since there aren't other users in this wiki, but I just have a huge love for these kinds of articles. Still, I won't do anything else for now, and next time I have something I wanted added, I'll ask. Again thank you for the warning. This is all for now. 2600:1700:53F1:5560:605F:88CF:DC78:3560 17:46, 21 Mean Souree 2022 (UTC)
- Hi there. It's quite alright, and no warning was issued. I was just asking for you to stop temporarily until I can get a hold on these articles and rectify what needs to be rectified. I will (hopefully) be getting around to creating a Wikidata-based infobox for TV shows and movies which should add much needed information to each article but which won't require any language-knowledge to implement from other users and which will update automatically based on the Wikidata entry. For the moment, I will not be able to add any more information to any of these articles, however, as I will be focused on maintenance for the time being. But, if I can, I will try and get around to them. All the best, Mac Tíre Cowag 17:51, 21 Mean Souree 2022 (UTC)
- On Over the Hedge, I removed a self link to the same article. But, if it should be renamed instead, please do. I asked either about removing the redirects I left behind when I was Kkjj because many of them are circular redirects to the articles in question (for example, Beauty and the Beast redirects to Beauty and the Beast (scannane 1991).) I also asked about updating The Rescuers, which still has the infobox linked manually. Right now, the English Wikipedia no longer uses the non-diffusing categories (like American films and British films). However, they can (probably) stay here, I don't make the rules of course. I was wanted to explain the reason why they aren't being linked currently in the English Wikipedia. I didn't bother to create an account this time because the others (like I like peace and quiet, Kkjj, and others) have been globally locked. I was actually the same vandal who vandalized pages like The Fox and the Hound, because back then, I was really immature and wanted to rant about a movie similar to Charlotte's Web called Spider's Web: A Pig's Tale. I don't actually dislike Spider's Web anymore though. I saw sockyr was in the protection log, but is it still needed after 11 years? Plus I'm not sure the English name as a redirect is needed, but even if it is, does it need protection anymore? Finally, I saw that in Wikipedia, it says "Last edited 2 months ago by ASOSV1", which clearly isn't needed. I saw that this edit introduced that, and it was from last year. I'm not sure why that was added, but can you remove it? I'm saying all this here as requested at Resooney:Gordy. Thank you. 2600:1700:53F0:AD70:9DDC:F4FC:12AB:1F40 23:04, 1 Jerrey Souree 2022 (UTC)
- I didn't see any new edits to Teletubbies. And about the English-language plot to Liv and Maddie, do you think you could ever add a summery of the plot in Manx sometime? Finally, I didn't see most of the other issues addressed yet (except Over the Hedge and the redirects left behind from Kkjj). Also, when will it be appropriate to remove protection from article protected 10+ years ago? 2600:1700:53F1:5560:3905:78F8:2562:2C34 18:02, 6 Jerrey Souree 2022 (UTC)
- This is why it would be helpful if you could create a user page. With a userpage you could list out exactly what it is that you need in a bullet format. As things are at the moment, you are leaving me having to guess a lot of what you want. Even on some of the items you wish to have addressed, it means I have to crawl through approximately 2500 articles and a similar number of redirects manually to try to find what exactly you are looking for. Please, create a profile, create a subpage for that profile, and list out exactly what you need. That way I can track what has been done, what is yet to be done, and understand exactly what you are looking for. Usually, the type of thing you are looking for is done by a team of editors/admins. I am just one person here and for weeks I have now had to neglect the entire wikiproject. Mac Tíre Cowag 18:07, 6 Jerrey Souree 2022 (UTC)
Cryss hraa[edit source]
Cryss hraa is tagged for delete because "no content". However, it seems to have plenty of content. Shouldn't this article be retained? Also, please don't delete Dove Cameron yet. She has a lot of fame now. For the record I don't know "JRS". I was Bambifan101, but I didn't create Cryss hraa and it seems like a good page (it's about time zones). My time zone is CT (central time). Where I live, it is 3:36 PM right now. Thank you for the unblock BTW. Brightblueskies (talk) 20:36, 8 Jerrey Souree 2022 (UTC)
- There are several central timezones... I had been unaware that Cryss hraa was nominated for deletion. That happened while I was on a hiatus from WP. As for Dove Cameron, I think she is notable enough to warrant an article. We don't go by the same criteria as the English Wikipedia for notability. Those criteria exist on the English WP only because it is so large, with so many articles, editors, and admins and some sort of criteria need to be implemented in order to keep some form of control. We are a little more free here on GV WP, but as the project grows, some articles may need to be reviewed for notability, including some of my own articles. That's just how it works.
- As for the unblock, please bear in mind that this was my own decision and it over-ruled the global sysop and admin community. Please do not let me down and make me regret my decision. Mac Tíre Cowag 20:44, 8 Jerrey Souree 2022 (UTC)
Requested edits from userpage[edit source]
I know that they will take a long time, and are low priority. But out of all of them, which ones will done first? I was thinking maybe one of the actresses. Since there is an automatic template for the infobox on actors, which manually listed infobox parameters can be taken off? I was hoping on Dove Cameron that it could be replaced with more information. Also, when I listed other articles for the future to create, is it OK if I make them as stubs and then see them edited later? Brightblueskies (talk) 20:32, 18 Jerrey Souree 2022 (UTC)
- I cannot give any list of order as to which articles I will do and in what order. It will simply be a case of whatever mood I am in and what I feel like I am capable of tackling. One thing we will not be doing here is creating sections on filmography or discography. While this has been done in the past for some other artists, I feel like such an undertaking will require a large amount of effort to maintain as artists, by their very nature, tend to add to their repertoire and this would become quite a burdensome task to update. If you want to go ahead and create stubs for updating later, please go ahead and do so now. Please bear in mind any numerical entries in infoboxes - e.g. dates, budgets, gross sales, etc. I have been unable to figure out how to accurately pull that data from Wikidata and have it rendered in an easily-readible format over here. So for now, and until I can figure that out, can you ensure that things such as "release date" ("skeaylley", "date skeaylley", etc.) are manually inserted into the infoboxes. Thank you! Mac Tíre Cowag 19:40, 19 Jerrey Souree 2022 (UTC)
Main page[edit source]
(cé acu is fearr leat; Ghaeilge nó Béarla?)
Hi there. I remember mentioning the main-page about two or three years back, but it completely slipped my mind. Tonight, I took a crack at it - take a look at Ard-ghuillag2 and let me know what you think. With a little effort - well, 366 pages of editing - you could easily set up Manx content for the main page that changes daily. Same as we have over on ga.wikipedia. What do you think overall? I'm happy to put in a bunch of effort, too, though my Ghaeilge Mhanainn is terrible - Alison ❤ 10:32, 31 Jerrey Souree 2022 (UTC)
- B'fhearr liom an Ghaeilge, ach, cé nach bhfuil ach an Béarla nó Gaeilge Mhanann á úsáid anseo, is dócha go mbeadh an Béarla níos fearr anseo. The page you've created does look a lot better than the current one. I'm of the opinion that it is possibly time to drop the expansive list of Wikipedias at the bottom. Possibly a link to the list at meta? One major reason - it's a long time since the English or, indeed, the German Wikipedia passed 100,000 articles in size and it would be very cumbersome to be constantly watching to see how large these projects have grown. On a separate part, I'm not sure what you meant by "Aaniartaghey yn lheanagh"? As for the Manx-language content - I wouldn't worry about that. That can be left to me to translate.
- I've been trying to figure out the whole Wikidata and Lua stuff. I have gotten a good grasp on basic stuff around it, but where I'm struggling is on the numerical side of things, particularly where those numbers related to dates. I figured out the "x years old" thing for living people, but can't get my head around when someone has died and their age at death. Nor, for example, dates when it comes to release dates. This is, of course, a separate issue.
- But, thank you so much for the effort you've put in. Mac Tíre Cowag 17:13, 31 Jerrey Souree 2022 (UTC)
- Quick catch-up. It's gone 11pm here and I gotta sleep :) Take a look now. I've cut down the languages template to something more reasonable. I *love* the section linking the Celtic languages - we need to do that on ga.wiki too. The English Wikipedia have dropped the "Mychione ny duillag shoh" section altogether, which makes me wonder if ga and gv should do the same. It's pretty clutter-y.
- You seem to be doing just fine on WD stuff. Check out MTHNAM template for some of the translation weirdness I had to do to make things work for the daily update page. It works just fine. Point me to the problem templates, and I'll take a poke around if you like.
- I've thrown together Wikipedia:Laghyn reiht/1 Luanistyn - mostly as Gaeilge - but you can translate. What we used to do when we added this system to the mainpage on ga.wiki was that Ymmydeyr:Guliolopez and I used run off a week of daily articles in advance, filling it in from the births, deaths and incidents of the day, adding a relevant photo and picking out the best of the events. It's *well* worth it in the long run because when the year rolls around, all you really have to do is review them and refresh a few bits. Visitors get a cool 'on this day' section that's different each day. It's very gratifying to watch :) Ok - beir bua. More later - Alison ❤ 06:20, 1 Luanistyn 2022 (UTC)
- Thank you so much for all of your work. The homepage definitely needed a revamp, but I simply would not have had the ability or the creativity needed to tackle it on my own. Regarding the "Mychione ny duillag shoh" section - I fully agree. It's unecessary and clutters up the page. I'd also be in favour of dropping it.
- Regarding WD, the biggest issue I have is date formatting. I was able to figure out how to get the date to format as DDMMYYY for birth and death dates in Clowan:WD Kishtey Fys Dooinney, but I'm still having trouble when it comes to things like marriage dates. Take a look at Patrick Stewart for an example where we can see the dates given for his second wife are displayed as "(Luanistyn 25, 2000 - 2003)" rather than "(25 Luanistyn 2000 - 2003)". Ideally, I would love to be able to drop the day and month from this particular part and just leave it at the year. Also, in Clowan:WD Kishtey Fys Scannane I've had issues with the film release dates and budget/gross sales data. I just can't seem to get them to render correctly and so I've had to revert to allowing only for manual insertions.
- I've gone ahead and translated Wikipedia:Laaghyn reiht/1 Luanistyn. A few minutes a day, every day, should very much be manageable. I'll try and add a little bit of Manx flare to it, too, such as Tynwald Day, etc.
- Once again, thank you so much. Gura mie mooar ayd! Mac Tíre Cowag 15:29, 1 Luanistyn 2022 (UTC)
- I replied to your thread on ga.wiki earlier. Anyways - really love the new mainpage plus all the work you're putting in to the daily updates. I swing by every day just to look at it updating :) Lots left to do. I'll try dig into some of the overall date format issues next, soon as I catch my breath. Spare time is in short supply right now! Well done on the upgrades! - Alison ❤ 00:19, 4 Luanistyn 2022 (UTC)
- I saw that reply and it makes sense. When I was moving the main page I was unsure as to what way to go about it. I didn't want to lose the history of either page, but it does make more sense to keep the main page as you have done. Yup, lots left to do but that only gives me a challenge lol. Make sure to take time for yourself, too. The last thing you want to do is burn yourself out. The date format issue can wait a little bit. Go raibh míle maith agat, arís! Mac Tíre Cowag 17:45, 4 Luanistyn 2022 (UTC)
Removing protection[edit source]
Do you think it'd be OK to remove protection from sockyr? Plus the redirect from soccer. Although, is the redirect needed, considering it's in English? Still, does it need protection anyway? Also, for the other articles about my things, including the redirect from The Fox and the Hound (noa-skeeal). I also forgot two more pages I wanted improved (Selena Gomez and Demi Lovato), should I put them on my user page? Also forgot Garfield. I'll be sure to list them. Also, I'll be working on creating the requested articles as stubs. Thank you. Brightblueskies (talk) 22:31, 7 Luanistyn 2022 (UTC)
- Soccer is a term that is also sometimes used in Manx, so the redirect is needed. That article was the subject of repeat vandalism in the past, and so the protection will have to remain, unfortunately. Anything you want expanded, place it on your userpage. Feel free to be bold and edit or create as you see fit. If you make any mistakes I will point them out to you so that you can learn from them. If you need a hand with anything, please don't hesitate to ask. Happy editing! Mac Tíre Cowag 22:49, 7 Luanistyn 2022 (UTC)
- I think that they deserve a trail though, because the protection is from 11 years ago. About the Disney articles that were vandalized in the past, it was mostly me being immature. I have listed the three articles I mentioned, and will be working on the stubs requested next. Now I know I wasn't the one editing soccer, but it was so long ago, and those vandals may have moved on or, like me, learned from their mistakes. Also, I've been looking at the older articles created, and noticed that I had to correct some things. Right now I've reviewed Spirited Away, and I see the first line says "She scannane sheiltynys bioghit Shapaanagh veih'n vlein 2001 eh Spirited Away". However, I saw that "fansee" and "voish y vlein" are the ones used now. I will have to correct it, and then start on the stubs. Finally, I wanted to say that, if you were wondering, I had taken a wikibreak for a few weeks before coming back. It's true, editing can be really hard work. It's work it though as long as it's done right. In the past, I was really ready for shows like Liv and Maddie to have more content, but now I know where to write the requested material without clogging up the article history. It's definitely my favorite TV show, but I know it's low priority right now. I would also request the article on basketball, but what would it be called? Finally, I saw that Roberto Martinez is pretty short, I will request it to improve like the others on my userpage. Brightblueskies (talk) 23:26, 7 Luanistyn 2022 (UTC)
- I have removed protection from sockyr. Regarding "fansee" and "sheiltynys", the latter was the best available term at the time, but "fansee" is now seen as more appropriate. "Veih'n vlein" and "voish y vlein" are both correct, however, and mean the same thing. The use of "veih" or "voish" is down to user preference. Basketball is translated as "bluckan bascaidagh". Mac Tíre Cowag 18:18, 8 Luanistyn 2022 (UTC)
Updating pages[edit source]
For now, I will slow down on the page creations because I think it would be a great idea to update each one before making new ones. I think that just one page updated per day would be great since there are five. In order:
- Finding Dory (sometime today or tomorrow) Jeant
- Frozen II (tomorrow or the day after) Jeant
- Descendants (scannane 2015) (the next day after Frozen II)
- The Lion King 1½ (fourth day)
- iCarly (fifth of the five)
I admit I was lazy on adding the items to Wikidata. However, the other way mentioned might be easier (the "Add links"), so I'll try that. I'll wait until the updates are done before making more pages. Also, can the protections from the redirects soccer and The Fox and the Hound (noa-skeeal) be removed? I also want to request removing protection from the other pages I edited (like Bambi and Charlotte's Web). The latter page also needs updating sometime. I still plan to make more of the requested pages, plus others yet to be listed, but for now, can the existing ones be updated first? Thank you. Brightblueskies (talk) 20:56, 19 Luanistyn 2022 (UTC)
- Absolutely. No problem at all. I'll start with Finding Dory at some stage this evening. As for the redirects, there is no reason to remove the lock protection on those, unless you can think of one. I will remove protection from Bambi and Charlotte's Web. Mac Tíre Cowag 20:59, 19 Luanistyn 2022 (UTC)
- My reason is because it doesn't seem like they need it, considering that the vandalism is unlikely for redirects. Plus, if they needed it, they might as well be fully protected, since they don't need editing anyway. Still, it is no big deal. However, the main page for The Fox and the Hound (noaskeeal) could be unprotected, along with the others I edited. The remaining pages can be found in the protection log. Brightblueskies (talk) 21:10, 19 Luanistyn 2022 (UTC)
Porn stars[edit source]
Well, I guess Manx Wikipedia is aiming to be #1 in female porn stars anyways. Approx 300 articles, or one in 20 from my estimates. I found if I click [leathanach fánach] (random article), I can get porn on around 1 in 10 clicks.
I'm sure they meet notability an' all that, but it certainly leads to an unbalanced minority language wiki. I'd try to add articles myself, ach níl aon Gaeilge Mhanainn agam ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ - Alison ❤ 00:18, 3 Mean Fouyir 2022 (UTC)
Official website vs. ynnyd-eggey oikoil[edit source]
I have noticed two different templates for "official website", that one and "ynnyd-eggey oikoil". I think that they should be merged. Also, I don't know if Kianglaghyn mooie or Kianglaghyn magh is the right for the external links. Is it Kianglaghyn mooie for plural and Kianglaghyn magh for singular? I'll correct it then for the plural ones. Brightblueskies (talk) 19:14, 7 Mean Fouyir 2022 (UTC)
- Agreed. I will sort that "official website" now.
- As for "kianglaghyn". This one is difficult. "magh" and "mooie" are two adverbs of motion. "mooie" implies an existence external to the observer. "magh" implies motion towards something external. "Ta mee mooie" means "I am outside". "Ta mee goll magh" means "I am going outside". I have a preference for "magh" as the external links displayed are here but take the reader outside this project. "mooie", in my mind at least, implies that the reader is already external to this project. It's a slight semantic difference that I feel requires input from other Manx speakers. At present, however, I seem to be the only Manx speaker present. My advice would be to stick with what feels comfortable for now and at some point in the future we can always remedy that to an agreed phrasing. Mac Tíre Cowag 20:40, 7 Mean Fouyir 2022 (UTC)